Sunday, December 11, 2016

Cali(x)

Hey, here's a pre-review of Cali(x) or whatever it's called.

So, this has been a pretty awesome week of Gear VR stuff - Apnea, Cali, ...um, some candy game, other stuff...

Either way, some good shit. Some seemingly good shit. But is there actually "good" shit for Gear VR these days? With Daydream out, and focus on PSVR and Oculus Touch, and all that nonsense, does anyone actually care about the little Gear VR? And why would you? You wouldn't.

But apparently, the dude(s) behind Papa and Yo, a well-regarded yet mechanically flawed Playstation 3 game, thought differently.  And the game, like the PS3 project, is interesting, but mechanically flawed. But still worth your time.

So you are this dude with long hair (explained via static but artistically neato cut scenes) who needs to jump around some platform-y stuff to...um, achieve your goal. I dunno, I didn't finish. I was too frustrated with the weird camera swaps and scene switches. You see, when you complete a scene, the camera swaps to a new pre-set action view which may not always match up with where you exited the previous scene. In fact, it nearly never does. The jumps and shit are imprecise and confusing. But yet...

It's got heart. Papa and You had heart. This game has heart. Is that enough? Meh, not really. It misses on so much gameplay that it makes it more of a mental challenge to bear with than a gameplay challenge to complete.

I'm torn. I love the view of Herobound where it seems like you're playing action figures come to life. I love the idea of a platformer in 3D. I don't love the controls and don't feel like it will be worth it to continue. But I want more Gear VR stuff like this.

Here's where you can destroy me. I didn't finish. I didn't even come close to finishing, at least I don't think so. This is just a pre-review of my first impressions. Hopefully it changes for the better and turns out awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment