Saturday, March 12, 2016

Gear VR: Omega Agent Review

I have a jet pack.  And guns!

Omega Agent is the most thrilling experience that I've, uh, experienced so far in my brief VR career. The game is quite good-looking, has a nice audio/visual style to it, and...you fly around in a GOD DAMN JET PACK.

Sorry, I'll use my words.  Omega Agent was created by Fireproof Games, the studio behind the "The Room" games, where you look at different objects inside of rooms and say "OH HAI" before tearing them apart, Lisa.  I'm joking, of course - the "The Room" series (yes, I know that sounds weird) are very high quality and nice looking mobile puzzlers.  BUT SERIOUSLY, JET PACK THOUGH.

Omega Agent starts you off in a pseudo-spy movie, with campy music and visuals to match.  You can choose between a free flight mode and missions.  Free flight mode was where I started, and, after a brief tutorial to get the controls down, you FLY AROUND A CITY IN A JET PACK.

You can choose to use the stick to rotate around, or you can physically move yourself around (while standing or in a swivel chair).  My understanding is that it's less dizzying to spin yourself around in a swivel chair, but I chose the stick and actually enjoyed the stomach dropping feeling of spinning and inertia and...it's just awesome.  You can zip around, skimming the city streets (the barren city streets, I should note), or you can zoom along the beach, or check out a nearby mountain, or... YOU CAN FLY UP TO THE TOP OF THE HIGHEST SKYSCRAPER YOU CAN FIND AND JUST JUMP THE FUCK OFF AND IT'S OK BECAUSE YOU HAVE A JET PACK NOW.

If you choose to play the missions, you get a fairly standard set - a lot of "fly through the rings as fast as you can" and "Collect the coins as fast as you can" type missions early on.  However, as you complete those (which do help you get accustomed to the craziness of OWNING YOUR VERY OWN VIRTUAL REALITY MOTHER EFFING JET PACK), things branch out a bit.  There are a few gun-based mission types as well, where you look at a target to shoot at it.  It works great, and, to be serious for a second, it's a really interesting solution to what would have been a complex problem in what I will now call "flat" games.  With multi-directional controls and axes to worry about, you probably would have had to do a strange or uncomfortable button combo to shoot at stuff, whereas in this, you shoot where you are looking, no matter where your momentum is taking you.  It works.  As you complete missions, and, in the attempt to be as spoiler free as possible, I'll just say that things...open up.

But you don't have to complete a single mission to love your time with Omega Agent.  The free roaming mode has a bunch of scattered collectibles and things to explore,  The whole package is just great, and it just makes me even more excited for higher graphical fidelity in the years to come. As a bonus, it doesn't seem to destroy my phone with overheating the way other games/apps do, so I am able to enjoy my time in my very own virtual reality jet pack simulator.  I...I kinda like this game, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment