Sunday, February 21, 2016

GearVR: Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes!

This is the least isolated I've ever felt with a headset on.

So, I downloaded this game after hearing people rave about it on other platforms.  All I've heard is, "It's so fun!" and "You and your friends will have a blast!" and "That pun was unintentional, I meant 'blast' as in 'a good time'.  Yes, I get it.  It's a bomb.  Bombs explode, like a blast.  Yeah, ha ha.  Stop being a jerk, dude."  The main problem was that I don't have any friends because I call them out on their puns while I, myself, create intricate and clever wordplay, but I figured I'd download it anyway.

Here's what the game is, at least on Gear VR.  You are a bomb defusal expert, with no actual expertise.  The expertise is actually handled by your friend, or friends, or roommate who happened to be accessible at the time and couldn't make up an excuse quickly enough to get away from me.  The person with the headset on sees a suitcase style bomb and a timer.  The bomb has all kinds of silly gizmos on it - blinking lights, wires to cut, word games, mazes - basically, a whole bunch of random shit.  Seeing as you have the headset on, you see this.  Your teammates do not.  They have to go online to the very troublingly named URL "www.bombmanual.com" and look up (or, better yet, print out) the instructions on how to complete each of these little modules, based solely on your descriptions.  It works in reverse, too, since you can't see the manual, they have to try to describe the answers as...well, descriptively as possible.  It's a game about communication.  There is a ticking timer, as bombs tend to have, and if you screw up enough modules or let the timer run out, you get all blowed up.

If you've played something like Space Team, you'll recognize this style of gameplay.  Having played Space Team before this, I was worried that it would steal a bit of Keep Talking's thunder, but it really didn't.  The feeling of being in a room alone and communicating with someone is actually amplified by seeing it in VR.  Is VR necessary for this game to be effective?  Not really, but it does help a bit.

Graphically and immersion-wise, the game is fine.  It looks good.  There's not a lot going on, but everything looks sturdy and good enough.  My roomie and I had a good time playing for a few rounds, but I would imagine this would be more fun in a party setting.  You know, a super nerdy party where you break out a weird headset and tell your friends to flip through a manual to help you deactivate a video game bomb.  I guess the reason I don't have many friends is because that sounds kinda like an awesome party to me.

Anyway, get it, and then get friends, because it's fun and friends are probably good to have.  I'm guessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment